Here I will write, what I need to be sure that I can find again, and far more which I probarbly don't need to find again :)

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Epia EX1000 on ubuntu 8.04LTS

This weekend I didn't know what to do, so I decided to try play around with my crap epia machine and get some thought away from my master project...

It was already running fedora core 8, and I had downloaded the pre-upgrade to FC9, that didn't really go to well, and i ended up with a system that couldn't boot. Since Fedora is damn huge *and I don't have a dvd burner in my old stationare, I decided to try the new ubuntu 8.04LTS desktop edition.

Here's the list of things I have to remember when installing again.
* I had to specify VESA on the kernel promt to be able to boot to the installer.
* When installed, create a new boot entry without vesa to enable non-vesa drivers (I don't know if this is actually necessary)
* use the xorg.conf below to enable openchrome drivers

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by failsafeDexconf, using
# values from the debconf database and some overrides to use vesa mode.
#
# You should use dexconf or another such tool for creating a "real" xorg.conf
# For example:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "unichrome"
# Driver "via"
Driver "openchrome"
Option "ActiveDevice" "LCD"
# Option "TVOutput" "S-Video"
# VideoRam 65536
# Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
Option "VBEModes" "true"
Option "SWCursor" "true"
EndSection

section "Monitor"
Identifier "viewsonic"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen 1"
Device "unichrome"
Monitor "viewsonic"
DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection


Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
screen 0 "Screen 1" 0 0
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "GLcore"
Load "v4l"
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection


*****************
Thats about it. Via seems to start to support the linux community, for some interessting reading about this see: Decent Linux Drivers: Seriously, what is going on? you will be shocked. And while we are at it if you already have a via graphics chip and have experienced some linux problem, why don't you sign the petition for decent linux drivers?

No comments: