Here I will write, what I need to be sure that I can find again, and far more which I probarbly don't need to find again :)

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Excellent Python IDE wanted

I would like to do some python, because is is soooo nice :D

I would also like to use my crappy via epia, since it doesn't make any noise (fan-less), and that is a good thing. On my powerfull rather powerful laptop I am using eclipse+PyDev for my python. The epia chokes when I use eclipse, starting is is about a minute, and opening a file is about equaly slow... On a good day, if I click on the output from the debugger, it takes arround 5 minutes to open the file which othervise is handy for seeing the function signature. and usually it just stalls...

No, I am not satisfied with some texteditor+syntax highlighting if I can get more :), So I went hunting for a nice python IDE.

My first try was Gedit which is a texteditor with syntax highlighting... It works fine and a few years ago before I was used to visual studio and eclipse, I would probably be happy...

Then I tried Komodo-edit-4. Komodo-edit-4 seems really nice, they have a professional looking website and the installation worked right away. Upon first run it prepares code-intelligence, therefore my expectations were high when it finally loaded... Initially there is no way to execute the file you edit, which pretty much means that it is an text editor with syntax highlighting. This can be changed by adding a command to the 'toolbox', Interestingly enough, I cannot see how to stop running wild programs :). Kommode-edit shows auto completion on the standard python stuff, sadly it apparently doesn't work with site-packages like OpenCV, on the other hand, this might be a problem with the OpenCV implementation, because It is possible to fake the auto completion wizard with something like.

* non functional code begin
X = CvMat
X.[gives the selection choices]
* non functional code end

but typing
cv
doesn't bring up any choices like
cvCreateMat(...)
cvCreateImage(...)
etc.

Komodo-edit does seem better than Gedit because it features completion on the standard python stuff, Furthermore it also shows the arguments for the signature when calling methods on build in objects. Komode-edit does realtime syntax checking, nice when you forget to add commas when initializing list like you are used to from MATLAB / Octave :). It is possible to go to the documentation for in.sites packages, and unlike eclipse it actualle happens rather fast after the request.

Kommodo has some real crappy project stuff, I cannot figure out what it does besides from listing the files in the directory where the project file is... WTF, for python programming it doesn't seem to add any value.

Overall, I would say that Komodo-edit has some very nice features, but the lack of direct execution makes mewish for something more... There is a version called Komodo-IDE which cost money and apparently adds the feature off an interactive console, and I would guess, also the possibility to execute the script directly, since it has debuggin facility.

The next IDE I looked at was DrPython I didn't expect much, but it delivers what it promises: There is no code-completion, but syntax highlighting, code folding and the possibility to execute directly from the editor. Upon errors in the scripts, the editor set the cursor at the detected error. It is also possible to have separate tabs with python running in a window.

No comments: